Depending on the device you're trying to reach and the IP address it is set to, you would need to change some settings on your PC accordingly. In this example, we'll be setting up our PC to access our CM70 series camera at its default IP address which is http://192.168.5.163
What is a Subnet Mask
First thing that we need to do is to make sure we're setup to access the same subnet. A subnet mask is used to split up IP addresses into two parts, where one part addresses the computer itself and the other part describes to which network it belongs. The subnet mask basically tells you which part of the IP address describes these two.
To keep things nice and simple the subnet mask usually is dfined in a form like this: 255.255.255.000 In this case, the first 3 sections of the IP address are reserved to define the network and the last section is used to define the PC's IP address within this network. In our example, looking at http://192.168.5.163 the first three sections are 192.168.5, this is our network, and the last section describes the IP address of the camera: 163
We need to match these details on our PC. For a more in-depth artical about how subnets work, please have a look at a great article explaining subnets in detail by Microsoft.
Setting up the Subnet on your PC
- On Windows 10: Press the start button and search for Ethernet Settings:
(You can click on the images below to enlarge them)
- Select Change Adapter Options on the right side of the screen:
- Locate your network adapter, right-click on it and select Properties:(A quick way to open that Ethernet/Network windows would be to run the command "C:\Windows\System32\ncpa.cpl" into the windows run that you can open with WIN+R)
- Select the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click Properties:
- Select the option to 'use the following IP address' and enter a IP address within the same subnet of the camera. In our case we can choose anything in the range 192.168.5 and choose an address that is not equal to the device we try to reach, since our camera is set to 163, we can choose a random address between 1-162 and 164-254. The subnet mask should be set to 255.255.255.0:
- Click OK and you can now close all windows. Your settings are applied and you can now reach your device.